05 Sep 2020
Great Escape Mustang Sanctuary , Deer Trail
How does it work?
1. You choose a Mustang to partner with on the May 3, 2020.
(Alternative pickups after May 3 can be arranged with prior notice.)
2. You train your Mustang to do all sorts of things over the next 4 months! Teach them to trust humans, be handled, do amazing tricks… the sky is the limit! The more time and attention you put into training your horse, the better prepared they will be to shine at the show!
3. Show off your horse at the competition on September 5-6! You’ll be competing for $15,000 in cash and prizes!
The classes you need to prepare for are:
– Handling & Conditioning : show that your horse can be caught, handle their feet, load in a trailer, etc.
– In-Hand Trail : show that your horse can navigate various obstacles
– Freestyle : show off what you and your horse can do!
**Remember that all TIP Challenge classes are In-Hand, meaning you will not be riding your horse.
Adult Open – this division is for any trainers who receive compensation for training/lessons/clinics, or have won $1000+ in prize money in any equine competition
Adult Novice – this division is for any trainers who do not receive compensation for training/lessons/clinics, and have not won $1000+ prize money in any equine competition
Youth – trainers age 8-17 will work with horses age 12-24 months old
Burro – open to adults or youth interested in training a burro!
WHAT YOU GET FOR COMPETING:
– A chance at $15,000 in cash and prizes! Winners of the Colorado TIP Challenge earn a better payday than many Extreme Mustang Makeover winners!
– $200 reimbursement just for showing up to compete!
– Nice western shirt to compete in and keep after the show
– Free halters for every competitor
– Free stalling at the show
– Wonderful exposure for your training business! Last year we had hundreds of visitors to the TIP Challenge and exposure to thousands of followers on social media. This year we have even more plans to increase attendance!
Since you will have adopted the horse, it is up to you! You can keep your horse or you can rehome them to a BLM approved adopter. It is up to you to advertise your horse for reassignment and we have found that the trainers who are more active on social media by promoting their horse along the way end up finding great homes at better prices than traditional auctions. During the show, we will give your horse a special designation if you are looking for a home for them, and we will announce that your horse is available for reassignment every time you step in the ring, and at various other times during the program. We also will feature your horse in the paper programs as looking for a new home. If you are unable to find a home for your horse and you cannot keep them at the end of the show, GEMS will adopt your horse from you for $100. We will then take them into our training/adoption program and find them homes.
The TIP Challenge is run during the Wild Horse & Burro Festival which is full of ridden classes in all disciplines so you can compete for additional awards with your horse! You will qualify for the New Partners division in the Festival where you will compete against other horses who were wild less than 1 year ago!
Horses will be selected by a trainer draw. We will have a pool of horses at the pick-up event. We will determine the draw order by randomly picking trainer names out of a hat. Trainers can then choose their horse from the pool of horses in the order they were drawn. We will have a nice group of horses to choose from of various ages, sizes, and colors!